Certification. CE marking
This article is for informational purposes only. Please ensure that you are familiarized with the latest updates of the legislation on this matter. You are solely responsible for compliance with the applicable legislation on product safety and certification and must ensure the conformity of your products with any applicable requirements prior to selling them on Joom.
⚠️ PLEASE NOTE that Joom reserves the right to request a copy of the declaration of conformity or an CE certificate any time prior to or after placing your products on the platform as well as any other mandatory documents confirming compliance of your products with applicable standards.
What does CE marking mean? Why is it so important to mark and certify the products?
As a merchant selling products on the Joom platform, you must comply with any applicable legislation, including requirements to the product safety applicable in the country to which you sell your products. When you sell your products to customers from the EU, you must ensure that these products comply with the EU safety requirements.
By affixing "CE" marks to the products the manufacturer or its authorized representative confirms that the products are safe to be sold in the European Economic Area (EEA).
In case your products do not meet the safety standards (the standards varies depend on the countries and regions), you must not place such products on the Joom platform, or you must set the countries which you don't meet the standards as Disallowed Countries & Regions.
Even if you are not a manufacturer, being a manufacturer's representative or a seller means that your are involved in the supply chain of the product and obliged to sell only those products that conform the applicable safety standards and other applicable requirements (in particular, specifications that may apply to your products). You must sell only safe, CE marked products to be sure that
- your items will not be banned due to the absence of of mandatory documents (such as declarations of conformity, laboratory’s certificate and test reports) and CE marking on the product you sell on Joom;
- you will not be held liable for the breach of the applicable legislation on certification and safety of products.
Which products require CE marking and conformity documents?
➡️ Click here to download the list of product categories the certificates are required for.
⚠️ Please note:
- Oximeters require only EC Certificate and cannot be sold in the USA, despite having the FDA Certificate.
- Contact lens require only EC Certificate and cannot be sold in the USA, despite having the FDA Certificate.
The list may be updated from time to time and you must familiarize yourself with any changes and updates.
Toys for children under the age of 14 are subject to CE marking and require obtaining an EC declaration of conformity in accordance with the Directive on the Safety of Toys (DIRECTIVE 2009/48/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 18 June 2009 on the Safety of Toys). In addition to CE marking, a certain warning must be affixed to the toys (such as "Not suitable for children under 36 months").
👉 Also, you can easily check which products sold in your store require CE marking certificate using filters on the Products page in the Merchant Panel. For the detailed information on this function please refer to the article: Certificates Required for Selling Your Products.
What are my obligations with regard to CE marking and certification as the merchant selling on Joom?
- You shall examine the applicable regulation and identify which of the products you sell on Joom require certification;
- If you are a manufacturer of the products, you shall undergo testing procedures in order to check whether your products are compliant with the safety standards;
- If you are an importer or distributor, you shall ensure that the manufacturer passed the safety tests, affixed CE marking to the products and provided you with a copy of the valid declaration of conformity. Upon expiration of the current declaration, you shall ensure that you receive a new declaration.
⚠️ Please note that you may be required to take down your products if they do not comply with applicable requirements. In this case, you must delete all the products immediately upon receipt of the relevant request from Joom or relevant authorities.
What type of CE marking certificate is required?
You can upload two types of the CE marking documentation to Joom Merchant Panel:
- CE certificate issued by the EU-authorized Lab;
- Declaration of Conformity (DoC).
CE certificate is issued by the EU-authorized laboratory based on the results of the product technical test. The list of the EU-authorized laboratories can be found on the European Commission website, DAkkS website or CNAS database. Certificates issued by other laboratories are not valid and will not be accepted by Joom. For more information on the CE certificate please refer to the article: EU-authorized Lab Certificate.
Declaration of Conformity can be issued by the manufacturer based on the results of the product technical test that they’ve conducted by themselves according to the European standards. Declaration of Conformity is only valid if it is accompanied by the Technical Report which demonstrates all the steps and results of the technical tests. For more information about the Declaration of Conformity please refer to the article: Declaration of Conformity.
❗ Please make sure to add at least one of the documents above for the required products. Otherwise they will no longer be visible for the European customers.
⚠️ Please note that for some types of products such as medical products only CE certificate is acceptable but not DoC.
👉 Please note that from the point of view of legal risks and customer complaints, we consider certificates from EU-authorized labs to be more reliable, so we recommend obtaining them. That’s why even when DoC is added, the yellow diagnostics will remain on your products but will not influence your sales.
Where to find the detailed information on certification and CE marking?
- DIRECTIVE 2001/95/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 3 December 2001 on general product safety
- Information on the European standards and technical specifications
- General information on CE marking
- Information on the harmonized standards (can be used to demonstrate that the products are compliant with the European requirements to products safety)
- The form of the declaration of conformity
- Information on conformity assesment
Please sign in to leave a comment.